Hi all,

I received a few questions after my post last night (not sure if they were to
just me or the List), so here are some quick answers -- not at all
comprehensive. Plus there are some great web sites and other resources on this
topic, plus some real experts on our listserv.

Many (but not all) songbirds migrate at night, and many (but not all) of these
migrants give distinctive calls while they are migrating overhead. Some of
these calls are different from any calls we hear from these species during the
day; others are the same calls they give in flight during the day, or in other
social contexts.

A lot of attention has been devoted in recent years to figuring out how to
identify the species giving these calls, and using this knowledge to monitor
bird populations, track migrations, and study the risks to birds from lighted
buildings, wind farms, etc.

Many birders can identify a subset of these night flight calls, with varying
degrees of confidence, and for many of us it is a challenging yet exciting
learning process. For me, this has become one of my favorite kinds of birding
-- just standing in my yard and listening to the invisible stream of migrants
passing overhead in spring and fall. I have heard more thrushes passing over my
house in a single night (hundreds and hundreds) than I have probably seen
during the day in a lifetime of birding.

To get started on this learning process, check out:

www.oldbird.org<http://www.oldbird.org>

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp/research/nocturnal-migrant-flight-call-research

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/birdcalls

There is a new protocol for entering counts of night flight calls into eBird:
http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1010492-entering-nocturnal-flight-call-counts

And there is even an entire listserv devoted to discussions of night flight
calls: http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME

good listening!

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
607-254-2412
607-342-4594 (cell)
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>

On May 21, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Kenneth V. Rosenberg