Chance favors the prepared mind.

____________

chris.pel...@cornell.edu<mailto:chris.pel...@cornell.edu>

On May 22, 2013, at 21:08, "Mark Chao"
<markc...@imt.org<mailto:markc...@imt.org>> wrote:

On Wednesday evening at about 6:20 PM, Tilden and I, plus a bemused umpire and
a dugout full of youth baseball players saw an adult MISSISSIPPI KITE circling
over Valentino Field at Tutelo Park on Bostwick Road in Ithaca.

Notes:  Raptor soaring easily in circles overhead for about 90 seconds.
Distinctive long, slim pointed wings, more like a gull than a hawk.  Small
outermost primaries plainly seen and reconfirmed.  Long tail broadly fanned,
about the same proportion to body length as Cooper’s Hawk, with no pattern.
Whitish head, underside, and wing coverts.  Broad black tips to wings, without
distinct border against white.  Overall black-and-white contrast vaguely
reminiscent of Northern Harrier or Broad-winged Hawk, but also obviously
different.  Wings had no black trailing edge.  Overall shape while soaring
rules out any other species with similar coloration.  I lost the bird when I
had to refocus on the ballgame, but think the kite probably drifted off to the
north or northwest.

This was a life bird for both Tilden and me, but despite our lack of
experience, I feel certain about the ID.

Mark Chao

Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail