As I walked into Stewart Park along Fall Creek Saturday morning about 9:30am I heard CHIMNEY SWIFTS overhead and looked up in time to see a squadron of at least 13 of them coming erratically downstream above tree top level. While Stuart & I waited by the swan pond for Ann's arrival we saw BARN, TREE, BANK, and NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS at low altitude but hard to count among the trees, and I saw at least 20 CHIMNEY SWIFTS in view at once overhead. There was also a MYRTLE YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in the Spruce by the Cascadilla Boathouse. At the end of our trip just before sunset the CHIMNEY SWIFTS were just above the trees of Renwick Wildwood Sanctuary along Fall Creek, and again I could see at least 20 at once, so there may have been more. I wonder what portion of Ithaca's population was in this flock.

Other swallow congregations we found included:
* along Lake Road south of Aurora over the pasture south of the most northerly house. The field north of this house has also been good for swallows early in the year as it catches the sun early in the morning. These fields may have an extra dose of insects from cow-pies. Although yesterday's were mostly BARN SWALLOWS, there a couple TREE SWALLOWS among them, and a female PURPLE MARTIN rested on the wires to the north.
* over Knox-Marsellus pool, but these were distant to view from Towpath Rd.
--Dave Nutter