The shorebird numbers and habitat at Montezuma are truly spectacular -- I don't
remember ever seeing such conditions in spring. I only had time to do Kipp
Island and the Wildlife drive this morning, but between those areas I counted
more than 1300 DUNLIN, 600 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, 250 LEAST SANDPIPERS, and
270 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. Other highlights included 2 WHITE-RUMPRED SANDPIPERS
and 4 SHORT-BILLED SANDPIPERS at Kipp, and 10 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS flying over
the main pool. So, not a tremendous diversity, but great shore-birding
nonetheless. (I can't believe there wasn't a Curlew Sandpiper among all those
Dunlin)

Kudos and thanks to the managers and staff at Montezuma NWR for their excellent
management of water levels and creation of more and more shorebird habitat over
the past decade! The incredible count of Black-bellied Plovers seen by Mike and
Joann Tetlow is just a hint, I think, of the shorebirds that are going to pass
through there in the next week to 10 days.

I also had a high count of 32 BLACK TERNS in a single scan of Tschache Pool.

On the way up and back, the "Rt. 90 Grasslands" produced GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS
near Rafferty Rd., across from Aurora Shoe Co., corner of Ledyard Rd. and just
north of Lake Rd. (2). Also 2 on Lake Rd. past the house.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology