This morning the Wood Thrush in our yard started singing before dawn, starting
the chorus that we listen to through the window as we wake, and continuing past
8:00.  We've never had a Wood Thrush stay beyond migration before, but this one
has been singing in the same place since May 21.  I take this as evidence that
the little wooded area along the hedgerow has become sufficiently thick to suit
him.  As I walked the dog after sunrise, the thrush was singing from a large
snag between the woods and our neighbor's hayfield, where it was briefly joined
by a singing Meadowlark; the latter scolded and chased the thrush back into the
woods, and then returned to the hayfield. ( A moment later the tree held 3
Cedar Waxwings and two Grackles.)  As I looped around toward our little (but
tall) spruce grove, I heard the shrieking Green Heron who's been hanging out
(nesting?) there, and saw him hopping from one treetop to the next.  In our
open field the House Wrens and Field Sparrows were singing, while the Baltimore
Oriole and Scarlet Tanager vocalized from the cherry tree... and so on.  What a
fine morning.

I have counted 91 species in the yard so far this year, and 126 over the past
23 years, largely due to the nice mix of habitats.  The 19-acre property, with
antique farmhouse and two sturdy red barns, is now for sale, and I would dearly
love for it to be bought by someone who will appreciate the birdlife.  If
anyone here is interested, please contact me off-list or see
carolbushberg.com<http://carolbushberg.com>.  (Sorry for the self-promotion.)

Nancy Dickinson
Mecklenburg

Make a little birdhouse in your soul.