To give a more specific criterion, if the observation - even of a common species - got your adrenalin or endorphins or dopamine or whatever going, it might be worth a note to Cayugabirds-L so others can get a vicarious dose.

On the subject of report-worthy rare birds, I think the Connecticut Warbler at Lindsay-Parsons awhile back should've been put on the text message RBA. I hope this medium is not too out-dated. Even though this species is typically not refound, it turns there were at least 2 re-finds there.

Also Nelson's Sparrow was first reported to eBird at the end of September by Chris Wood from the Cornell Research Ponds "restricted access" area north of the airport. Maybe it's not a big deal for him, or maybe he figured it's off limits to most birders, but the heads up to the listserv would have been good, I think. I've noticed on eBird a LOT of reports from this area. I wonder how restricted access is to this area? Maybe it's a good place for a field trip if we can't all get the combination to the lock.
--Dave Nutter