On Sunday morning, ten birders joined me for a Cayuga Bird Club group walk
around the Cornell Community Gardens on Freese Road.

Among all the ~100+ times I've birded at this site in fall, today's outing
towers above all the rest in terms of LINCOLN'S SPARROW encounters.  In
about an hour, we had about 15 sightings, all in the northern half.  The
average for me per visit is probably about 1!

Getting a precise count poses impossible methodological challenges, but from
timing and locations, I weakly infer that we didn't have a lot of repeat
sightings.  I would add that the ratio of Song Sparrow sightings to
Lincoln's sightings seemed much lower than usual.  So, if pressed, I would
guess that there are at least 8-10 Lincoln's Sparrows in there today.  And
if one makes the eminently reasonable assumption that our sightings comprise
only some fraction of the birds actually present, one could conclude that
there are dozens!!

We also saw one SWAMP SPARROW, a couple of SAVANNAH SPARROWS, a FIELD
SPARROW, several WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS (fine sightings in both the northern
half and in the hedgerow at the southern border of the site -- a few sang
repeatedly), some WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, several HOUSE SPARROWS, a COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, a NASHVILLE WARBLER, and an INDIGO BUNTING (several more
heard).  We also enjoyed watching 25+ Turkey Vultures rising from the
Cornell compost area to the south, as well as a PILEATED WOODPECKER and
Great Blue Heron passing overhead.

I am also pleased to report that recent traffic from walkers and at least
one truck has greatly facilitated passage through the weedy corridors among
the plots.

Thanks to all who joined our group!  Thank you, Lincoln's Sparrows!

Mark Chao