The other day at Upper Buttermilk I came across two RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS behaving in a way I have never observed before. Previously, whenever I have seen the red crown on these little birds is when they merely spread the feathers on their head to expose their beautiful crimson. Not so this time! When these two birds came into very close proximity to each other, they didn't merely "show" the red, they angrily flared the red feathers to a fully erect position. Indeed, it appeared as though the feathers were bent forward out over their foreheads!! When this occurred, one of the birds gave out with a frighteningly rapid, almost hissing-like trill. To make this even more fascinating was the behavior of the "trespassing" bird. This interaction between the two only lasted very briefly, before this bird would retreat to bushes across the trail and proceed to feed nonchalantly, almost as though this "violent" conflict had never happened. After a short time, it would fly back to where the other bird was, only to be angrily reproached again. It did this three times, before apparently deciding that discretion was the better part of valor.

Bird behavior is every bit as fascinating as their appearance and song!

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes