Hi everyone,

It's not very often that one has the chance to view White-faced and Glossy
Ibis side-by-side at very close proximity -- particularly in Upstate New
York.
I thought some people may enjoy some side-by-side video.

https://vimeo.com/77369914

The face pattern and eye color is certainly striking, but one can see a
wide range of differences between these two birds. I was struck by the
differences in color pattern to the wing coverts, which stood out strongly
when the birds are side-by-side but I expect may also be helpful on lone
birds. It was interesting to see how these colors changed, when the sun was
obscured by a cloud or the birds changed angles.  Perhaps the best single
image I have to compare these when the birds are a the same angle to the
light is here (also helpful because the heads are distracting us).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinicola/10392852153/

There are a few other still images up as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinicola/

It was great see so many people watching, studying, taking photos of two
great birds at Montezuma that were close enough for everyone to see and
enjoy.

Best wishes,
Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu