My first stop in the Ithaca area was Stewart Park and as
I am pulling up I get Jay's email on my phone about the
shorebirds etc down there. Thanks! I arrived at 955 am
and Jay's BRANT was still flying around at the very south
end of the lake. As Ken pointed out, this bird eventually
ended up with a flock of canada geese on the grass
of which allowed for fairly close approach and a couple photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/10499049733/

I checked the Red Lighthouse Jetty and I did get on Jay's
shorebirds. I had one PECTORAL SANDPIPER and
just one DUNLIN. The birds were on the small strip of gravel.

At the southeast corner of the lake, the AMERICAN COOTS
are gathering and I counted about 30 RUDDY DUCKS. They
were diving a lot so this is a close estimate. In addition,
I saw my first of fall season BUFFLEHEAD 2 male and 2 female.
I also saw one PIED-BILLED GREBE in this area.

There was one distant COMMON LOON as well as the
usual 3 species of gulls close. I also heard many YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS calling from the swan pen as Ken mentioned.

My next stop was Myer's point. I give Bob a lot of credit for birding
there for 90 minutes in the wind and cold. The winds were southwest
and probably averaging around 30 mph with higher gusts. Temperature
was 40 degrees when I was there. brrrr. I only lasted 20 minutes!
Best bird for me there was a single BRANT flying by. This was a
"brant" day for me. 3 out of 4 places I stopped had single brant including
one stop at Dorchester Park Whitney Point, NY. Brant are a little harder
to come by in Broome County so I was especially happy with this sighting.

There was a lot of wave action and shimmer over the more distant
waters at Myers. I did not get on any loons or scoters but again I was
there 20 minutes. The usual gulls were at the point, no shorebirds
that I could see. 2 adult BALD EAGLEs flew over Myer's which was
a nice treat as I left.

Last stop before heading home was the Stevenson Street compost
piles. I saw Kevin McGown there. I was hoping to see the black
vulture that was hanging around but was unable to find it.
The shear numbers of gulls, in addition to the TVs, and crows is
impressive. I too got on the LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL that Ken
mentioned. Other than that there were the typical gulls that we
get around here...lots of them.

Dave Nicosia