Wow, very interesting gull!

Yellow Warblers seem to like that box store canal area, as that is where one
lingered through the early winter a few years back, until a mid-January freeze.

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
607-254-2412
607-342-4594 (cell)
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>

On Oct 27, 2013, at 10:32 PM, Christopher Wood
<pinic...@gmail.com<mailto:pinic...@gmail.com>>
 wrote:

I birded the Stevenson Road compost piles in Ithaca this morning, which were
quite good. There were two Lesser Black-backed Gulls, but the most interesting
bird was a gull that appeared intermediate between Ring-billed and Herring
Gull. I tried to turn into an odd American Herring Gull (which it was more
similar to in structure and size). There are a couple photos in the eBird
checklist below, so it may be useful to look at those when reading the
following notes. Compared to a Herring Gull, note the relatively long-winged
appearance, leg color similar to Ring-billed Gull, small bill with well defined
black ring (usually not shown by HERG quite this advanced in adult-like
upperparts coloration). Head pattern recalls Ring-billed Gull but with
HERG-like smudging on nape and particularly underpart; also note the greater
wing coverts have some brownish coloration most similar to HERG. There was no
overlap in size with any Herring Gull or Ring-billed Gull there (intermediate
in size; much larger than all RBGU but slightly smaller than the smallest
Herring Gulls). The images look more RBGU like, but with brown on greater
coverts, a bit more brown smudging on breast than is typical, and fairly large
black spot on tertial.

I am not aware of any records of Herring x Ring-billed Gulls. Andy Guthrie sent
this image of Ring-billed x Lesser Black-backed from Spain, which, as he notes,
looks similar to this bird but differs in how one would expect Ring-billed x
Herring versus Ring-billed x Lesser Black-backed would appear. Anyway,
interesting bird.

Complete checklist and photos here:

After finishing up shopping at Wegmans I thought that the canal on the west
side looked as if it may harbor some sparrows or lingering birds. Walking south
into the land of big box stores revealed a YELLOW WARBLER. It has a bad wing,
so perhaps it will be around until it gets harder to find food.

Complete checklist and photos here:

Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu<http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/>
Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail