Walked out of the back of the Lab at noon and first bird was an EASTERN
BLUEBIRD M, vocalizing 'qwer-wert' repeatedly, a plaintive two-note phrase.
That was interesting but the remarkable behavior was when he flew from a
'normal' twig perch over the trail and stuck it on the side of a tree's
vertical trunk (with rough bark) just like a woodpecker or actually more like a
nuthatch, as he was facing down at about 45 deg. He seemed very comfortable
there for the 10-15 sec he stayed, watching me, then he flew again to a twig
perch. He wasn't being pursued and had numerous normal perches available. I
can't say I've ever seen this behavior from a thrush. Have you?

He was soon joined by a second M and the two counter-called the same two-note
phrase for a while.

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program