Later in autumn, storm systems get stronger because the temperature difference
between Arctic and the
tropics is rapidly increasing as the Arctic cools. With stronger storms, the
winds associated with
storms become stronger. Both ahead of a storm (which brings southerly winds)
and behind a storm (which
brings northerly winds) the winds are stronger as autumn progresses. So with
stronger winds in general,
maybe there is more likely to be vagrant birds later in autumn? This is just
one thought on this.

These cattle egrets likely are riding the northerly winds back south. They
simply could be birds that wandered
north after breeding and are heading south on strong northwest winds or it is
possible, I suppose, they were blown north
with last week's strong south winds.  One thing is for sure...you never know
what is out there or what the next
vagrant will be. That is why birding is so exciting especially this time of
year!