I've recently observed what I would consider recrudescent behavior in three species of birds. I would think that this behavior would occur more closely to the autumnal equinox, rather than the winter solstice that we are fast approaching. While in Virginia I saw huge flocks of ROBINS, some of which were in full song normally associated with the breeding season. Also, I saw two male HOODED MERGANSER next to each other displaying with full crest and head bobbing. Two females were nearby and paid them no attention! Yesterday at our feeders I noticed a behavior I've never before seen in JUNCOS. Two birds were sitting facing each other about 2" apart, and both were moving their heads up and down, apparently in response to each others movement. I observed this for about 20 seconds, before they discontinued their interaction and flew off. Then a short time later I saw 2 birds (same ones??) engaged in vigorous "aerial combat". Have others of you also noticed breeding/territorial behavior in birds at this time? Any observations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes