Hi all,

After receiving comments from wiser and more cautious birders, I need to revise
my recent post about Juncos -- as indeed I should not have been so quick to
call them both "Oregon" Juncos. Individual and geographic variation in juncos
across North America is notorious, and the limits of various subspecies, as
well as the taxonomy of the whole group is far from settled. The bird in Groton
on Saturday, photographed by Tim Lenz at:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15968478, is still thought to be a
"good" Oregon, primarily based on the concave gray hood contrasting with the
orange-pink flanks. The Seneca Falls bird that I photographed on Monday
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/kvr2/11412831514/in/photostream/), however, might
be within the range of variation for an immature female Slate-colored Junco, or
(more likely?) represents an intergrade to some degree between Slate-colored
and Oregon, which is fairly frequent. In fact, pinkish birds that have been
seen pretty regularly in the East have been debated for years, as some are
hastily called Oregon (as I did) or are considered to be "Cassiar Junco" –
thought to be from an intergrade population in British Columbia and Alberta. If
you want to read more on this topic, you could check out the lengthy blog
discussion at: http://www.oceanwanderers.com/JuncoID.html – although this
discussion is 10 years old, it covers most of the basic arguments and refers
specifically to birds like the one we saw on Monday (with links to additional
photos). It is both fascinating and humbling to realize how poorly we
understand (in terms of modern taxonomy, genetic studies, and identification
limits) one of North America's most abundant species.

for now, though, I will officially retract my report of Oregon Junco from the
Montezuma CBC (and will clean up my eBird checklist and flickr site).

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
607-254-2412
607-342-4594 (cell)
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>

On Dec 17, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Kenneth V. Rosenberg