HI all,

Reasoning that my car would be warmer than my house, I headed out for a drive
this afternoon to search for owls.

On Indian Field Rd (north of Genoa) I found a Snowy Owl somewhat far out in a
field (well out of photo range)…it was a lot easier to spot than if there had
been snow on the ground! It was on the west side of Indian Field Rd, 0.6 miles
south of the intersection with Ledyard Rd. This is farther south than where
folks found a Snowy Owl over the weekend, but it was likely the same
individual, because I saw no owls at/near the intersection of Indian Field and
Poplar Ridge.

At 3:30 or so I headed over to the Long Point Winery to wait for the
Short-eared Owl show to begin. Until they appeared I was entertained by a
handsome male Northern Harrier, which flew low and slow, hampered by the wind,
over the vegetation and provided lots of fun photo ops. Then around 4:30, 4
(possibly more) Short-eared Owls took to the sky, foraged around the field for
a while then headed farther away as the light dropped. Photographing from the
car, I kept the heater going, only turning off the engine as the birds drew
near, to avoid vibrations and fuzzy shots. Cold but fun.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

***NEW***  Music of the Birds Vol 1 ebook for Apple iPad now available from
iTunes

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/music-of-the-birds-v1/id529347014?mt=11