After a great lunch at Dories in Aurora (one meets the greatest people
there), I stopped at Mud Lock where I saw 2 adult BALD EAGLES perched
side-by side in a dead tree next to the "old" nest (the northernmost one).
After a bit, they flew to the "new" nest, perching in the tops of 2 dead
trees there. One of them emitted a high "reeeee" scream.  Although eagles
are big, their vocalizations are few and rather puny.  I then noted another
BALD EAGLE, an immature, perched close to the trunk of one of the dead
trees.  The immature gave a series of 'squeals" and hopped on various
branches towards one of  the adults that was in the same tree.  It got
fairly close, when the adult in the other tree opened its mouth wide and
gave forth with 3-4 series of "squeaks" which noticeably descended.  Stokes
describes this as a "chitter call".  Then the non-squeaking adult and the
immature (the ones in the same tree) flew north; the adult perching in the
dead tree next to the "old" nest, the immature continued flying north until
not seen anymore.

I have watched eagles a lot and have rarely heard any vocalizations, so this
was quite a treat. I'm guessing this was nest territory defense by the
adults.

Also seen up the Lake:  EARED GREBE from the Aurora boathouse.  6
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS from the Aurora Bluffs-North; and a GREAT BLUE HERON
flying over the village of Cayuga. Bob M. pulled up alongside me on Lake Rd.
as I was looking for SHORT-EARED OWLS and asked did I see the one-eared
grebe at Aurora.  This caught me off guard;  I thought he was talking about
a grebe with one ear (fantastic eyesight there), which would make it a
short-eared grebe.  Anyway, I figured it out eventually.  Hell to get old.

Steve Fast

Brooktondale