Hi all,

In the last week or so, I've been having good luck finding or relocating
uncommon winter species from the Christmas Bird Count (or before), not all of
which have been posted here. A GRAY CATBIRD is wintering on Arrowwood Trail --
the east-west lane that continues east from Arrowwood Drive in Lansing -- in
the understory of the open pine woods, in dense poison ivy vines with berries
and dense shrubs. Detected only a few times, even though I've been there more
frequently. A FIELD SPARROW and a SAVANNAH Sparrow are on Bluegrass Lane in NE
Ithaca, being seen regularly. Also 2-3 BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS with Starlings by
the Horse Barns.

Yesterday, I found a WINTER WREN on the trail through Renwick Woods next to
Stewart Park. Today I saw the YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER at the Wegmans Canal in
Ithaca -- showing signs of body molt w some black feathers coming in on the
breast. Also, I flushed a WILSON'S SNIPE this morning near the frozen ponds at
the east side of the Ithaca Airport.

As others have noted, a large (for here) raft of WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS has
gathered off Stewart Park (best viewed from East Shore Park or through the
trees from Rt. 89 north of Hogs Hole. Today I counted 47. Also at leaf 18
LONG-TAILED DUCKS and 10 HORNED GREBES in the same vicinity.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology