Having seen/heard 96 new birds so far for the year, I started out today
thinking, maybe, I could find 100 for the month of January. (Silly game - but
it gets me outside!)

I hung around a private feeder until 9 am when the Purple Finch showed up.
Beautiful male, backlit by the sun. #97.

Then I spent an hour at the compost piles picking through the hundreds of gulls
that were waiting to be fed from the CU dining halls' refuse. Ring-billed,
Herring, and Great Black-backed Gulls of all ages but no white-winged gulls.
(Checking in later with Jay, he missed them today as well.)

There was a report of  Red-necked Grebe yesterday at Ladoga (how come the
report never made it to the listserve and/or the RBA??). Scoping into the brisk
south wind was not fun, but I did manage to find what I thought might have been
the grebe.  It was bouncing around in the waves and then went to rest with its
head tucked - and then disappeared altogether. So I had to make due with a
Tompkins County Eared Grebe. And lots of Long-tailed Ducks. Just about then
Steve Fast showed up with an invitation to lunch at Dories, so off we went.

>From the boathouse in Aurora we spotted at least 10 Horned Grebes (no Eared
>Grebe there) plus the expected Goldeneye, Buffleheads, and a few White-winged
>Scoters. There were no White-fronted Geese at Farleys and none among the
>hundreds of Canadas on Mill Pond in Union Springs. The rest of the lake north
>was frozen except for a channel between Cayuga and Mud Lock. No Lesser
>Black-backed Gull at Dean's Cove. No grebes of loons along Elm Beach Road -
>but there were two WW Scoters.

Finally, back to Ithaca and up again to Ladoga. Where I did, finally, get a
satisfactory look at the Red-necked Grebe. #98 for the year. Still one more
day, but I'm beginning to think that 100 in January is out of reach - for me
anyway.

Bob McGuire