Last night, the NYS DEC conducted our first SEOW/winter raptor survey in Seneca
and Schuyler counties. Nine of us braved the terrible weather to survey at 7
locations. The rain stopped just in time to see a few SHORT-EARED OWLS and a
NORTHERN HARRIER. The harrier was spotted on Dugue Road in Hector. SEOWs were
seen as follows:

2 SEOWs in a tall grass field near the western end of Updyke Road in
Mecklenburg.
1 SEOWs was seen at the corner of Black Rd and Updyke Rd in Mecklenburg.
1 SEOW was seen on Dean Road in Lodi.
2 SEOW was seen at the corner of Case Rd and Townsend Rd (in NFS pasture).

We will be conducting another survey of these areas and more sites on Feb.
27th, meeting at 4:30pm at the Trumansburg Library. We are always looking for
more volunteers, as the more surveyors we have, the more sites we can cover. If
you're interested, please contact me at: kahoj...@gw.dec.state.ny.us

Kaytee

Kaytee Hojnacki
Wildlife Technician
Region 8 Bureau of Wildlife
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
6274 East Avon-Lima Road
Avon, NY 14414-9519
585/226-5464
585/226-6323 fax