Hi all,

As I turned onto Mt Pleasant Road from Mineah around 3pm Sunday, I was
delighted to hear the deep resonant drumming of a Pileated Woodpecker coming
from the woods to the east.

At the top of the hill a flock of maybe 50 Snow Buntings took flight, and I
tried to keep them in my binoculars on them as they circled around higher and
higher into the sky. Soon they were barely visible, and for a micro-second I
lost my concentration…and they were gone…apparently to the north. Heading out?

On the way back I saw a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk circling over the fields
near the farm. A couple of days ago I watched it (presume same bird) catch a
rodent on the far side of a field. There also has been a lighter morph bird up
there occasionally. But Rough-legged Hawks have been rare up there this winter
overall.

This morning at the feeders, two elegant male Purple Finches…first I've seen
since fall.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

***NEW***  Music of the Birds Vol 1 ebook for Apple iPad now available from
iTunes

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/music-of-the-birds-v1/id529347014?mt=11