Hi All.

Just another thought, if I may.  There was a time in my lifetime (OK, so it
was a long time ago) that there was a large osprey colony on Gardiner's
Island on Long Island.  They nested ON THE GROUND.  No need for platforms.
Then came the first invasion of Herring Gulls.  The unfortunate result was
pretty predictable.  The gulls destroyed nests, eggs, and chicks.  Give the
ospreys credit; they invented pole nests.  Then the power company tired of
putting out fires, so they planted a few old telephone poles and bolted
platforms on them.  The ospreys were grateful, and remain so today.

Bill McAneny