Just one day after Ken's observation, my (presumed) local Broad-winged Hawk is
back on territory. I've seen him several times today, flying low over his
traditional nest area, not far above the treetops, calling out the familiar
"Pe-heeeeeeee?" as if expecting an answer. I recently discovered what I believe
to be last year's newly-constructed nest (a previous nest that had been in use
for a number of years was damaged by a heavy spring snowfall a couple of years
ago).

I heard some nasal Crow calls this morning. Looking around, I found three
Crows, a familiar group that Pat has been feeding for months. They were close
together in a tree. One had a food item, and the other two were watching very
closely. Not sure what the social relationships are among this threesome, but I
believe one was trying a little begging.

Lots of Fox Sparrows, Towhees and Purple Finches around today. Also had
Golden-crowned Kinglet and Winter Wren, both singing. I might walk down to the
brook to hear the chorus of Hermit Thrushes this evening. Yard Woodcock
continues.

-Geo Kloppel