Early this morning at Myers Point, while photographing a pair of HORNED
GREBES in breeding plumage at the mouth of Salmon Creek, a pair of HOODED
MERGANSERS suddenly flew in and landed in front of me, pursued closely by a
PEREGRINE FALCON. The Peregrine made a swipe at the male, but was
unsuccessful, and circled around right over me and headed south. For about
five minutes the female Hooded Merganser vocalized, with a very erect
crest, and an eye to the sky, while the male preened. I found it very
interesting that they stayed very close to me where earlier in the morning
they had kept their distance. Sometimes I wonder if birds use people as
safety, knowing that predators are less likely to come near people (as long
as they have figured out those particular people aren't predators
themselves!).
I also heard a COMMON LOON, and saw and heard at least a couple OSPREY. A
flock of male COMMON MERGANSERS circled the creek several times.

Happy Spring,
Melissa
--
Melissa Groo Photography