En route to the Lab of Ornithology on Sunday morning, Miyoko, Tilden and I
saw a male INDIGO BUNTING in the power line corridor off Warren Road between
Uptown Road and Route 13.

In Sapsucker Woods, we found very few of the birds that Bob reported, nor
any of various other interesting finds that folks mentioned to us on the
trail.  But we did feel plenty gratified with excellent views of 10+
foraging RUSTY BLACKBIRDS in all plumages (most striking was a female still
bearing very fresh feathers, including a completely russet back) in the deep
puddles near the Wilson/West intersection.  I think that a couple dozen more
of this species could well have been present, as we heard their singing
everywhere along the southwestern margin of the pond.

We also saw a pair of NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES attacking and ousting a mink.
The waterthrushes stayed and foraged in peace together below our eye level
for several minutes, merely 5 meters away, with the male pausing now and
then to throw his head back and peal out a Woodleton-accented song.

Mark Chao

---
is active.