Hi all,
I took lunch out on top of Mundy. Then walked around from Mundy to Comstock
Knoll and back to BTI. It was a wonderful day.
While having lunch watched silently feeding COMMON YELLOWTHROATS and YELLOW
WARBLERS. And several Cedar Waxwings which were feeding on Buckthorn and rose
berries. A couple of Catbirds chased each other from respective territories.
Then I heard a vireo, I first thought it was a Blue-headed, but on hearing
clearly I realized it was an YELLOW THROATED VIREO.  I got a beautiful look at
it from a close distance. This first time in twenty years I have seen this bird
here.
While I was heading down to Mundy I heard a WOOD THRUSH and a RED-EYED VIREO.
As I reached bottom of the Mundy, I saw thrush under a hemlock, I was thinking
it could be a Wood Thrush, but o a closer look I realized it was a VEERY. It
was hunting on bare branches and saw it eating a caterpillar.  WARBLING VIEROS
were squabbling in the sycamore.
I continued walking along Fall Creek under another sycamore, I saw  bird with
bright spots again I thought I might be looking at Wood Thrush as I had heard
it. But its raised head told me that it is something else. A beautiful OVENBIRD
was staring at me and then continued  feeding. It caught a large noctuid
caterpillar of about 2 inches long and it maneuvered the caterpillar and
finally ate the whole thing.
Then I had a fantastic encounter with the common American Robin.  A female
American Robin caught a wooly bear caterpillar right in front of me. So I got
curious to see if it is going to eat or not.    So I watched the robin batter
the caterpillar on the ground and rub it on the grass for more than five
minutes till  the caterpillar became bald then gulped it in a one go! While she
was eating the male robin, her partner) was nearby and he kept watch on me. At
one point he walked straight at me in threatening posture, because I was
looking at her.
Then I continued my walk, at the Comstock Knoll just in front of the Summer
House I saw an ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER, which sang once while feeding in the
hemlock.  I also heard the PINE WARBLER trilling. As I was climbing the stairs
to Tower Road I heard a BLACK-THROATED BLUE singing! CHIMNEY SWIFTS were
chattering away above my head.

I the morning just near Mitchell street  end in the ravine I heard one of each
CHESTNUT-SIDED, NASHVILLE and a TENESSEE Warblers I posted these in the
morning. Afterwards,  I also  I heard a CAPEMAY WARBLER singing from the
spruces of NB and B professor's yard. A COOPERS HAWK that flew by at time made
a GROSBEAK 'chink', and chickadees and TUTI go into alarm mode.
Again in the evening while we wee having our FLNPS meeting at the Summer House
I heard two PINE WARBLERS trilling

Totally, today I had eleven species of warblers including a YELLOW-RUMPED
Warbler which landed from the sky as I was watching it!

Dr. Meena Haribal
Boyce Thompson Institute
Ithaca NY 14850
Ph: 607-3011167