The other day when birding around Treman Lake at Upper Buttermilk, I
came upon a vireo singing.  As I listened, I was fairly confident it was
a BLUE-HEADED.  A bit later I heard the bird again, but this time I
decided I must have been wrong, as it sounded more like a RED-EYED.  The
only problem was the bird was only singing once in awhile, not
continuously as is often the case with the RED-EYED VIREO.  I kept
hearing the "bird" sing off and on for some time, and I continued to
vacillate between the two species.  I decided I had to see the bird to
be sure, and eventually found a RED-EYED.  With my confidence shaken, I
resigned myself to the fact that I must have been mistaken in thinking I
had heard a BLUE-HEADED, and was in dire need of more practice.  Just
about that time I caught sight of another bird within 5-10 feet of the
RED-EYED.  Lo and behold it was a BLUE-HEADED VIREO!  It was then I
realized that I had indeed been hearing the two singing near each other,
_but only one at a time_.  Is it possible that two closely related
species might engage in counter singing, or was this just a very unusual
coincidence???

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes