We arrived at the parking lot at Hammond Hill at 9:00, not expecting to find much singing at that late hour in light rain, but we were pleasantly surprised.

We hiked about .5 mi. on the Yellow 1 Trail (a moderately steep, somewhat muddy trail that starts directly across the road from the parking lot on Hammond Hill Road), turning left at the T, to the old orchard a short way past the T that Wes described yesterday. On our way up we were treated to lots of singing CANADA WARBLERS, several of whom we saw with very little effort around the blow down area before the T. We also heard BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS, OVENBIRDS, COMMON RAVEN, WOOD THRUSH, and a WINTER WREN. At the old orchard, we heard the GOLDEN-WINGED/BREWSTER'S WARBLER sing 3 times over about 15 minutes, always from deep in the orchard, but we saw no sign of the bird.

We heard no MOURNING WARBLER until we were well on our way back down. Then I heard the song in the distance, so we returned to the blow down, where we were treated to magnificent looks at a male singing persistently and foraging right near the trail. Since we were that close and the weather had brightened, we returned to the orchard but heard no buzzing song. On our way down, we heard BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER and BLUE-HEADED VIREO in addition to the other birds we had been hearing but no Winter Wren.

Tim and Anne Marie Johnson