I went north today seeking the Prothonotary Warbler (no luck for me, although
others heard it earlier in the distance), and shorebirds, which turned out to
be more interesting. In fact it was shorebirds that delayed my arrival at the
hardwood swamp on Armitage Road where the Prothonotaries have been. The field
on the south side of Armitage is still flooded, and the northeast corner (where
one can conveniently pull off with a car and set up a scope) hosted a goodly
number and variety of shorebirds. Although they flushed, flew, rearranged, and
returned or added several times while I was there, I saw:

1 KILLDEER
5 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS
3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS
1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER
47 DUNLIN
25 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER - most arrived in a later batch
100 LEAST SANDPIPER (estimate)
1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER. Although I was unable to pick it out when they
flushed, and didn't refind it afterward, and was a bit frustrated while viewing
it, I've become more confident of the ID based on large size, including width
end-on, and rufous stripe on back. The spotting on the side was minimal, but
the breast & face were streaked with gray a bit more than I would expect on
Semipalmated.)

Later Ann Mitchell, Gary Kohlenberg & I found some shorebirds and others at the
flooded field (in distant cornstubble on the west side) on Carncross Rd in
Savannah:

SEMIPALMATED PLOVER - several
KILLDEER - at least 1
3 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER. The bird I studied most (which was plenty orange-red
on face, neck, & breast) appeared to be Short-billed based on gold-spotted
back, whitish lower belly & undertail, and more white than black top of tail
seen during preening. Another individual showed a flat back when feeding.
50 DUNLIN
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER - several
LEAST SANDPIPER - several
1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER, flew into my scope view with 4 Semipalmated
Sandpipers, it was similarly grayish tan & white in color but substantially
larger and with a slightly downcurved bill, and as it alit I saw the broad
white band across the upper tail. Unfortunately it landed behind a dense row of
cornstubble, so Gary & Ann did not get to see it.

Other neat birds at Carncross included a breeding plumage RED-NECKED GREBE
swimming, diving and sleeping near a female RUDDY DUCK, a male NORTHERN PINTAIL
(late), a male (American) GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and 2 adult SANDHILL CRANES which
observers from a different vantage said had 2 youngsters. An AMERICAN BITTERN
gallunked from the north side of the road and then flushed when a car stopped
on the road nearby. MARSH WRENS were unusually visible.

At the "Sandhill Crane Unit" (the flooded land south of Van Dyne Spoor Rd) we
scoped a distant pair of SANDHILL CRANES with at least 1 youngster atop a
muskrat mansion.

The RED-HEADED WOODPECKER pair continues to give a fine show in the dead trees
on South May's Point Rd. While there I heard a single song which made me think
of Yellow-throated Warbler (a full clear "tuwee, tuwee, tuwee, tu tu") but was
probably something else, like a Baltimore Oriole. I also heard a BLACKPOLL
WARBLER sing nearby.

My last new bird, found as I was about to leave the Tschache Pool tower parking
lot, was a single west-bound BLACK TERN.

By the way, there were lots of fine songbirds singing in the woods along Van
Dyne Spoor Rd and along Armitage Rd, although most were invisible.