Decided to bike Michigan Hollow today. Where the FLT crosses the road, I heard
a red-shouldered hawk (which I'd filed in my mind as sounding like a repeating
sapsucker), and looked up to see... an osprey? Puzzled, I kept looking and soon
two red-shouldered hawks swooped by to harass the osprey. The two were heard
and seen again later circling high.

Further down the road I heard the Acadian Flycatcher exactly where Geo said it
was - thanks. Was not able to get a visual, alas.

Two lifers for me, and Luddite ones to boot :-)

Also of note were four different singing hooded warblers in various spots in
the state forest, a yellow-throated vireo, and a noisy sapsucker nesthole.

Finally, I heard what sounded like a Nashville warbler, and found the singer to
be a redstart. Last week at Esker Brook we found a redstart singing yellow
warbler. Earlier at the SFO Arnot trip we had a redstart singing
black-and-white. Are redstarts known to be mimics? Given that the esker brook
one was next to yellow habitat, and the Arnot one was close to a
black-and-white, I'm inclined to think they're deliberate mimics. The Arnot one
was quite interesting, in fact. I suspected right away that it was a redstart,
but wasn't entirely sure why I thought so. Then we got an opportunity to hear
both the redstart and black-and-white in succession, and to my lo-fi human ears
they had the same pitch and timbre. The only difference was emphasis - the
redstart seemed to be shouting while the b&w sang more calmly.

Suan