Hi all,

For the benefit of those of us who do not receive Tompkins County eBird Rare
Bird alerts, a Lark Sparrow was reported today just outside of Ithaca by Ryan
Candee. He had this to say about his report:

"It was just out of town near Slaterville road. About a mile west of 6 mile
creek, it flew towards town...Pretty lucky, just looked up from the deck and
saw a sparrow with a clean white breast with a single dark spot in the middle,
rufous cap/crest, and dark facial/throat marks. He then flew over me towards
town and the lake."

I am out of town, so I won't be able to do anything about this bird even if it
does stick around. Indeed, relocating this bird would be quite a challenge,
given the nature of the encounter. However, anyone who is in the area may want
to be slightly more vigilant than usual. This is quite a rare bird in the area
(first eBird record for Tompkins, I think).

Good Birding,

- Reid Rumelt