Sara Jane and I went to Montezuma today in hopes of seeing LEAST BITTERN. We were most fortunate to have one land out in the open at "Jay's Place" across from Larue's Lagoon. It very kindly posed for us for a whopping 20 seconds or so!! About that same time we had a fly-by AMERICAN BITTERN. Later we went to the DEC headquarters on Morgan Road and had another Least Bittern do a nice long fly-by for us, before it literally took a dive into the vegetation. Based on the recent posts on this species, and our good fortune today, it would appear that the numbers of Least Bittern are significantly higher than in most years. Is this true??

We also stopped to see the RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS over at Mays. We saw the adults feeding a young bird. They seemed to take their time coming to the nest hole with food, as though they were trying to coax the young bird into fledging. At the same time I had the feeling that perhaps the young bird wasn't terribly anxious to go out and look for a "job", preferring instead to stay home where it could have food brought to it in bed!

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes