I think a Sharp-shinned Hawk would be not just naive but really stupid to go after prey as large as a Gray Squirrel. So I looked closely at your photos. They have fine (not coarse) brown streaking below, and even though the tail of the perched bird appears square, you can see all the ends of the tail feathers such that each successively outer pair is significantly shorter. That tail when spread would look quite bowed out in the middle. I think you've got Cooper's Hawks.
--Dave Nutter