Here's a quick report, even though I was not the leader for today's shorebird
field trip onto the otherwise-restricted dikes around Knox-Marsellus marsh at
Montezuma NWR. The heavy rains of the past few days have raised the water level
enough to cover all mud and flood much of the grass. The number of shorebirds
is down, and the viewing is challenging but there is still a good variety.

Semipalmated Plover - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - several in water past their bellies, apparently swimming
in channels between peninsulas
Lesser Yellowlegs - several feeding the wet grass of what used to be dry part
of peninsulas
Ruddy Turnstone - 1 non-breeding plumage, mostly very hard to see in wet grass
of peninsulas among gulls
Sanderling - 1 adult non-breeding plumage, mostly very hard to see in wet grass
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2
White-rumped Sandpiper - 2 at north end, only seen by me after everyone else
turned back
Semipalmated Sandpiper - a few seen by the group, a couple dozen at the north
end
Least Sandpiper - a few seen by the group, some flew into grass and disappeared
Short-billed Dowitcher - at least 3 juveniles of the 5 dowitchers I saw
Long-billed Dowitcher - seen by the main group before I was part of it

I understand that efforts are already underway to drain water from the
impoundment and expose the mudflats again, but the process takes a few days.
More shorebirds should be on the way, including additional possible species and
the juveniles of species we've seen so far.

I'll be leading a field trip to the same area on Sunday 31 August. We'll meet
at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center at 8am and caravan from there. Please sign
up through the refuge by calling 315-568-5987. These trips are open to the
public and there is no fee. I encourage people who have scopes to bring and
share them so everyone can learn more about these cool long-distance migrants.

The following field trip in this series after that is three weeks later on
Sunday 21 September, meeting at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center at 8:30am and
hosted by Cayuga Bird Club President Paul Anderson.