Come one, come all! The Cayuga Bird Club hosts the New York State
Ornithological Association’s annual meeting this year the weekend of
September 19 through September 21.  Registration is in full swing and we
are excited to have people coming from all around New York State to
participate in this.  We are especially hoping that many of our wonderful
local birders will also attend, so that not only our great birding spots
but our wonderful friendliness and local hospitality will be showcased for
all to enjoy.

The Friday night reception will be held at the Cornell Laboratory of
Ornithology from 6-9 PM. We thank Melissa Walker for working along with us
to make this happen.  There will be “heavy” hors d’oeuvres provided by
Cornell Catering, along with a wine and beer cash bar.  Two presentations
will be offered:  *All About Bird Biology *given by Mya Thompson , the
author of this  newly launched web resource, and a recently produced film
called *Inside the Lab*  (which is not currently available to the general
public). Guests can join either of two tours of the employee areas of the
Lab. The innovative sound ring, a wooden soundscape sculpture by Mya Lin,
part of her “What is missing?” series dealing with extinctions, will be
turned on for all to hear and experience.  And the wonderful new mural of
bird silhouettes, a tribute to Roger Tory Peterson and his first field
guide, will captivate our visitors who will have a check list to challenge
their ID acumen.

Bob McGuire has organized many wonderful field trips and you can select the
ones which may interest you.  These will be high energy walks to many of
our favorite hot spots.

Saturday at the Ramada will see a series of interesting paper presentations
from 1:30 to 5, with topics ranging from *The Hidden World of Bird Language*
to *Earlier Arrival Dates of Spring Migrants*, to *Piping Plover Recovery*
in NYS and many more.  There will be posters on display, and of course, the
NYSOA delegates business meeting in the morning.  A silent auction will be
ongoing throughout the day.

The banquet Saturday night at the Ramada will be buffet style, with a cash
cocktail reception preceding this.  Announcements of award winners will be
followed by our keynote speaker. We are very excited to be presenting Dr.
Bridget Stutchbury, who will talk about her groundbreaking research and
whose talk is titled *Frequent Fliers: New Discoveries in Bird Migration*.  For
those who may not know Dr. Stutchbury, you still have time to read her
three great books  written for general audiences*: Silence of the
Songbirds, Bird Detective, and most recently, The Private Lives of Birds: A
Scientist Reveals the Intricacies of Avian Social Life.*

Doesn’t this sound like a must-attend weekend?  Don’t brush it off just
because you don’t have to travel long distances and stay in a hotel to
attend.  As a matter of fact, this is a wonderful reason for you to make
sure you are part of this.  Go to *Cayugabirdclub.org* to register and for
more information.  And please note,  if you are registering and choosing
banquet or reception, the deadline for this is Sept. 12.

Contact me if you need more information.

Linda Orkin

Ithaca, NY

--
If you permit