Our barn swallows left yesterday, some may have left a few days earlier but
there was a core group that waited until sometime during the day to
depart.   I had counted 3 individuals in the spring, there may have been
more that straggled in. A couple of weeks ago I counted around 40
individuals, though that may be under the actual group that breeds in our
out buildings. It is always a sad day not to see them in the morning,
though that is the annual cycle. Godspeed to them over the Gulf of Mexico,
and many thanks for keeping our yard relatively bug free.
      I was curious about their cousins, the  tree swallows. They arrived
before the barn swallows, took up nest boxes away from the buildings and
hunted along with the barnies.  At some point in the summer they
disappeared, and I noticed a few individuals in the last few days near the
barn swallows. Where did the tree swallows go for the summer?

        Toby Dean,  North Danby