Bob Horn and I led a trip to Montezuma today. We were accompanied by four great
birders -Diane, Ken, Judy, and Phil. This report will not show all the species
we saw at each spot  (like ebird does), but I repeated some of them.

We started at Stewart Park, birding the east side. The species were: Mallard,
Coot, Hooded and Common Merganser, Redhead, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Greater and
Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Northern Pintail, Common Goldeneye, the regular
three species of gulls, Canada Goose, Black Duck, Double-crested Cormorant,
Rock Pigeon.

East Shore Park:  New species were Pied-billed Grebe, American Crow, and Song
Sparrow. Of note 50 Redheads were counted.

Drake Road: House and Tree Sparrow, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse,
Junco, Mourning Dove, Goldfinch, House Finch, Downy Woodpecker, Cardinal, Blue
Jay, European Starling, and Red-tailed Hawk. We saw a Turkey Vulture around
there.

Myers Point was great!  Bonaparte's Gull, Common Loon, Snow Bunting, American
Pipit, and killer looks at a Merlin! It posed in a tree near us. Great photos
by some!

Lake Ridge Road: 2 Pheasant, Red-bellied Woodpecker, and an American Kestrel.
(It was one of 4 we saw).

Factory Pond in Union Springs was noted for many Gadwall. We saw our first
Green-winged Teal.

Long Point: Northern Harrier, 7 Pheasant, several Common Loons on the water,

Driving into Aurora, Bob, Diane, and Ken saw two American Eagles at a nest, one
sitting in it. Of course we had to stop at Dories.

Montezuma Wildlife Drive: Snow Geese flying, 13 Bald Eagles sitting on Muskrat
mounds, one was an adult. Many Tundra Swans.

East Road:  The only new species was a Great Blue Heron. Bob saw an Accipiter.
He thought it was a Cooper's Hawk, but wasn't totally positive. No Sandhill
Cranes were seen and no Snow Geese either. It was much different than last
week.

We had a total of 51 species. If we count the accipiter sp., then it is 52. Not
bad for a cold and eventually wet day. We had a great time. Thank you to
everyone who joined us!

Ann Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone