From: bounce-118567517-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-118567517-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Jay McGowan
<jw...@cornell.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 1:04 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Winter birds, Ithaca area

Since not many folks are posting these days, I thought it might be nice to
update the group as a whole on Ithaca birding over the last week or two.

Despite a rash of "first" reports, AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS have been around for
a couple of weeks now. I saw my first on October 23 (a bit early), and they
were in most brushy areas in the Northeast Ithaca area by the end of October,
and I've had them on pretty much every list since then. Maybe they're starting
to come in to more feeders now that it's getting snowier. Several other species
of sparrows are still lingering. FOX SPARROWS are mostly gone, but SWAMP
SPARROWS are still present in several locations, and at least two SAVANNAH
SPARROWS continue in the cattail patch in the field on Bluegrass Lane. Chris
Wood and Kevin McGowan had an adult WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW along the entrance
road to the compost on November 15. Also on the 15th, Ken found two LAPLAND
LONGSPURS in the corn field on Bluegrass Lane SNOW BUNTINGS are still being
reported as flyovers, but no significant numbers have been reported at this end
of the lake recently.

PINE SISKINS continue to be reported in small numbers, still mostly as flyovers
but occasionally at feeders. Despite reports of EVENING GROSBEAKS around to the
east and west of the Basin, I still haven't heard of any around here except for
a flyover by Chris Wood on November 8. Scattered reports of COMMON REDPOLLS
farther north give hope for a redpoll year a little later on. WHITE-WINGED
CROSSBILLS are still scarce, but I did have one fly over Sapsucker Woods on
November 13.

Duck hunters at Myers Point have reduced waterfowl numbers and diversity
drastically there. A large mixed-species flock off Stewart Park currently
harbors low numbers of all five Aythya, including a single male CANVASBACK, as
well as other expected species and quite a few RUDDY DUCKS. CACKLING GEESE seem
to be passing through right now, with 5-6 in the large goose flock of Stewart
Park on 23 and 24 November. SNOW GEESE are still not moving through in numbers.

Interesting gulls have still been fairly scarce. Still the only ICELAND GULL of
the season was an early one at the compost and over campus on November 3-4. Tim
Lenz had an immature GLAUCOUS GULL at Stewart Park on November 23 but to my
knowledge it has not been seen again. I have been checking the compost
regularly and have come up with little of interest, but an adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL was present yesterday and a 3rd-cycle type Lesser was seen by
others on the 23-25. BONAPARTE'S GULLS are being reports off and on from the
lake, and observers should keep an eye out for rarer small gulls.

RED-NECKED GREBE and RED-THROATED LOON reports are down from a week or two ago,
but I did see an adult of the latter from Myers Point on the 26th. Two KILLDEER
were present on Myers Point on Thanksgiving, and Ken had a WILSON'S SNIPE at
Bluegrass Lane as late as the 21st.

I haven't heard of any shrikes or interested owls in the area in the last
couple of weeks, but people should keep an eye out for both. Snowy Owls seem to
be making another invasion this winter.

Good birding, and let's keep those posts coming!

--
Jay McGowan
Ithaca, NY