The season in review. We worked 43 nights from 9/18 to 11/25. Every night after
that
into last week was unsafe for netting so we quit. That was sad as owls
continued to
move through the area. We've yet to determine an end date for the fall
migration;
our latest was 11/28 a few years ago.

We had banded 56 saw-whets, 1 Screech Owl,  had 1 banded by  John Confer two
years
ago, one of ours visit a VA station and 1 miss. Strangely we had more than the
norm
of ASY birds at 33% while HYs were at 59%, SYs very low at 7% and 1 AHY. Females
accounted for 82%, Unknown sex for 14% and the usual paucity of males who tend
stick closer to breeding territory. Here's the 2014 Saw-whet Rogue's Gallery
Review;
a note, in order to not stress the owls with white light or flash we operate
under
red and took the majority of the photos with available light.
https://www.flickr.com/…/kestrel_ha…/sets/72157648276459800/
--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists