In winter Northern Mockingbird individuals (or pairs or families?) defend a
territory such as a shrubby thickets with a supply of fruit for them to eat.
The Mockingbird will try to chase off other birds from eating its winter food
supply. European Starlings have a different strategy, traveling in a flock and
eating a lot of fruit wherever they stop, perhaps stripping it all. The arrival
of a Starling flock can be a real bummer situation for a Mockingbird, but I
have seen a Mockingbird drive off a small flock of about 20 Starlings.

--Dave Nutter