In my haste to re-send Tim's message I screwed it up a bit. This morning the
TUFTED DUCK has been among mainly LESSER SCAUP (not Redheads) near the piling
cluster in the middle of the south end of Cayuga Lake. I refound it resting
among about 100 Lesser Scaup about 10am south of the pilings, but shortly after
I sent another text alert they became active, moved NW, and joined more feeding
Lesser Scaup (mainly), about 200. Numbers of Redheads are down: I estimated
2000. I last saw the Tufted Duck at 1126am diving in fairly wavy water.

More notes on its appearance: When simply swimming with its head up the crown
shape is somewhat like a Greater Scaup, being higher toward the front, then
sloping a bit to the rear, but then a bit flatter on top in the rear, not
dropping down in a nice smooth curve the way Greater Scaup does. If the Tufted
Duck is only on the surface of the water a couple seconds between dives, the
tuft is usually slicked down and invisible. The Tufted Duck's white side patch
is concave at the top on the forward 2/3, unlike scaup whose white sides are
broadly oval and can appear to be against black when viewed from the rear.
Ring-necked Duck's side patch has a more extremely curved top edge, and of
course it is mainly gray with a white outline and a white vertical stripe in
front, although it can appear whitish in some lighting and angles. Although the
head shape of a sleeping Tufted Duck is similar to Lesser Scaup or Ring-necked
Duck, it is not like them when it is awake.

--Dave Nutter