I checked a couple spots on the southeastern part of Cayuga Lake this
morning. This is, if not the most frozen I have ever seen the lake, at
least fairly close. The thick ice extended well beyond the red lighthouse
and almost to the brown pilings/buoy, and the thinner, newly-formed ice
extended well beyond this buoy, ending at about the railroad track crossing
where East Shore Drive heads up hill and slightly away from the lake. Not
too far north of this open water, however, the lake once again became
mostly frozen, this time with scattered but extensive thin ice islands,
like the ones that have been forming overnight on some of the coldest days
recently, but even more extensive. I wasn't able to get another look at the
lake until Myers, but the ice off the point and marina was quite extensive
as well, and the Aythya flock that has been hanging around off Ladoga was
all but frozen out. Several hundred Redhead, scaup, and Canvasbacks were
squeezed into a small open water patch a bit to the east of Ladoga. The
marina was unsurprisingly completely frozen (it had been full of birds
three or four days ago), and the only ducks I saw out on the open lake
(both north of East Shore and at Myers) were Common Goldeneye and Common
Mergansers. The TUNDRA SWAN flock sleeping on the spit between Ladoga and
the Myers marina has only increased, with at least 80 birds plus another 14
on the ice west of the marina and at least 12 with a goose flock along the
shore east of Ladoga.

I will be interested to see what happens with the ice cover as the
temperature continues to hover well below freezing over the next few days
and beyond. I imagine that the Aurora Bay is still open, but we may end up
getting some pretty interesting concentrations of birds in the areas that
do manage to stay open.

Jay

--
Jay McGowan