When I turned from Seyboldt onto Stahl Rd at 10:46am, Tim Lenz was still there,
recently joined by Garrett MacDonald and Rose Swift, and they had a scope aimed
at the bird, which had moved from a roadside pole to a tree in the northern
part of the farmyard, about 1/6 mile from us. The gray GYRFALCON was very
cooperative, and sat quietly, looking around, bobbing its head, preening, and
glaring at the occasional crow which had the nerve to fly close. After several
minutes, and for no obvious reason, it flew NE about 1/3 mile, crossing
Seyboldt Rd so low it had to swoop up to avoid a passing car, and then perched
atop a utility pole, where it stayed a few more minutes. Then it flew NE then
NW slowly climbing and occasionally circling until it was hard for me to
discern through binoculars, but with directions I was able to refind it through
Garrett's scope. After I handed off the scope, he said the bird stooped, then
leveled off going westerly, and the last he saw, it appeared to possibly be
about to land. This was far to our north, somewhere in the vicinity of the
Fingerlakes Regional Airport, but when I drove around that area and near the
Lott Farm I did not find it. Perhaps it found the gulls attractive at the
Seneca Meadows landfill, but I did not go there. Or maybe it was on the ground
eating a Ring-necked Pheasant, of which I saw 10 in the neighborhood.

This was a massive falcon, so broad in the body as to make the head appear
small compared to its more familar congeners. The rounded tail was considerably
longer than the sharply-pointed folded wingtips. The plumage was a lovely light
gray all above, with numerous narrow white lines barring the tail. The back
feathers also had very fine white edges or points on them. It had a complete
helmet of similar pale gray, highlighted by the white throat and by a narrow
bar of white just above the light-colored, black-tipped bill. There was also a
narrow white horizontal mark on either side of the nape. The facial pattern was
very subtle, but there was a a slightly darker gray vertical mark extending
down in front of the eye and a narrow slightly darker line extending back from
the eye. I never saw the underside completely but did see some narrow dark
barring near the base of the undertail coverts and on the flanks which were
otherwise white. When it flew away it showed a white flash from the underside
of the primaries on the bottom of each downstroke, but this was well in from
the wingtips.

This was only the second time I've seen a Gyrfalcon well enough to count it,
and the first time in the Cayuga Lake Basin. Many thanks to Tim for getting the
word out and to Garrett & Rose for sharing the scope (mine is off being
repaired).

In addition to Tim (who left before the falcon did), Garrett, & Rose, there was
also another couple who stayed in their car whom I did not recognize, and a
fellow from downstate who was in Weedsport when he got the message on
Cayugabirds-L and arrived in time to see the bird from Seyboldt or Cemetery
Road. A car of Cornell students was also cruising around the Fingerlakes
Regional Airport when I was, and later Ann Mitchell & Gary Kohlenberg went
looking, but I assume by their silence that they did not share my good fortune.

By the way I DID say which way it flew (see below). I often find that
re-reading text messages is helpful, as I have also overlooked information when
relaying a text alert to the listserve.

--Dave Nutter

>From Tim Lenz text to CayugaRBA, 9:28am:
Gray GYRFALCON perched on phone pole on Stahl rd (off of Seybolt rd) Seneca Co.

>From me to CayugaBirds Listserve, 9:36am:
gray GYRFALCON on pole, Stahl Rd off Seyboldt, Canoga, Fayette Township, Seneca
County

>From me texted to CayugaRBA, 11:13am:
Gyrfalcon flew north from Stahl Rd a couple miles but dropped as if landing.