I was joined by three people for the Cayuga Bird Club Trip on
Sunday 2/22. This was a half day trip in which we made a number of stops
going as far north up the lake as Aurora.  It was a gray chilly day,  but
much warmer than it has been,  and the sun made a brief appearance at the
end of the trip.
        Initially at the lab we had a Red-tailed Hawk, a fly over Pileated
Woodpecker, Am. Goldfinches, Black-capped Chickadees, a bright male
Cardinal, Downy Woodpecker and Blue Jays.
        Driving along Drake Rd. the only new birds were Mourning Doves, Juncos,
our only White-throated Sparrow of the day, and Tree Sparrows.  Our next
stop was down to Portland Point.  There we found Am. Coot,  Tundra Swan,
Common and Red-breasted Mergansers, Redheads, a few Canvasback, Black
ducks, Common Goldeneye, Herring, and Great Black-backed gulls, Ring-necked
Duck and Scaup sp.
        Ladoga,  the private marina, and Myer's Point added a few new birds,
Hooded Merganser,  Carolina Wren, Mallards, two Bald Eagles and a Belted
Kingfisher and two Gadwall at the marina.
        On the way up to Long point we found a Ring-necked Pheasant along
Lake Ridge Rd, which gave up great close up views. Checking Center Rd and
Ledyard Rd we had our first Horned Larks on Center Rd. and Ledyard Rd added
Snow Buntings to the list.  on Lake Rd heading down to Long Point we saw a
Mockingbird flying across the road.
        At Long Point SP we saw our first White-winged Scoters and the only
Common
Loon of the day.  WE made a stop along the road from Long Point back up to
Rt. 90 and played a mobbing tape hoping for Golden-crowned Kinglets,  but
the only new bird we found was Tufted Titmouse.  Our final stop was at the
boat house in Aurora,  and there we added Horned Grebe to our list.  The
sun started to peak out from the clouds on our way back to the lab and was
out by the time we got back.
        All in all a good morning of birding.

Bill Baker