Andy Johnson and I checked Ladoga Point, Myers marina and point, and Salt
Point at lunchtime this morning. We found most of the area frozen, with the
ice at Ladoga extending several hundred meters out on the lake and no open
water close enough to scan. Over 100 TUNDRA SWANS continue on the point off
Ladoga proper (visible from the end of the road looking out on the lake).
The marina was mostly frozen with a concentration of dabblers (including a
male NORTHERN PINTAIL) and coots in the open area in the middle. The bay
north of Salt Point is open and hosted most of the waterfowl that we were
able to find, including several hundred Aythya, but not the Tufted. It
seemed like there were more birds out of view around the point to the
north, so that may be where the Tufted flock has moved to, or they may have
moved back south along the lakeshore.

At the compost piles this morning, Livia and I found two GLAUCOUS GULLS,
one the probably continuing 3rd-cycle, and one adult or near adult, as well
as a medium-brown 1st-cycle ICELAND GULL.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library