I was sitting at home with a cup of tea just now, gazing across the upper
Cayuga Inlet valley toward sunlit Thatcher's Pinnacles, enjoying the thought
that in seven  or eight weeks this will all look so different, and the
Worm-eating Warblers will be back.

Suddenly a large whitish bird flew from the spruces to land in a small tree
some 300' downslope from me, looking up toward my bird feeders (and me). I
grabbed my bins, and wow! It was an immature Northern Goshawk. Seen perched in
this very familiar yard tree, "she" was very large for an accipiter, with a
striking white supercillium, and a long accipitrine tail marked with uneven
"zig-zag" bands.

About a month ago I glimpsed what may have been the same bird. We were having a
good hard-blown snow squall when it emerged from those same spruces and powered
up through the yard and over the house, leaving me to wonder: "Was that a
Goshawk?!"

-Geo