Right around the same time as Marie's  sighting, someone was in the
vicinity of the Wilson Trail South repeatedly hooting a Barred Owl
imitation for about two minutes. Perhaps, instead of the desired effect of
bringing the owl closer, the imitation scared the owl across the road (and
into Marie's line of sight).

What is presumably the same owl, or possibly one of the pair that has
nested in that area over the past few years, has been seen pretty regularly
along Sapsucker Woods Rd. for the last week or two. It's probably not
necessary to go out there hooting for the owl in the middle of the morning:
with a little patience (and some luck), it can usually be found in one of
its roost trees near the road, and where it might stay for other birders to
enjoy instead of flushing.

-Scott H