From: bounce-119069866-5851...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-119069866-5851...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Marie P. Read
[m...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:08 PM
To: John Confer; CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: RE:[cayugabirds-l] SFO learns alchemy - GH Owl nest

John Confer wrote:

< We drove over to the golf course and first stopped to see the Great Horned
Owl nest. To our total surprise, , although there was no owl in sight, there
was a Red-tailed Hawk flat on the nest as if incubating. I know some species
reuse the nest of other species, but two raptor species in the same season? If
the red-tail is incubating, it must have started laying almost immediately
after the GHOW left, because it was there just two weeks ago.

Well that is totally bizarre, because some friends of mine said they saw the GH
Owls on that nest Saturday afternoon (I think) and I was there myself on Friday
morning when the owls were definitely in residence.

What happened?

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

Author of Sierra Wings: Birds of the Mono Lake Basin    Available here:

http://marieread.photoshelter.com/gallery/Sierra-Wings-Birds-of-the-Mono-Lake-Basin/G0000NlCxX37uTzE/C0000BPFGij6nLfE