Hi Mark (and all),

You wrote about Wesley Hill:

> We found 39 bird species and an orgy of American Toads.

The account on the SBQ blog was great fun, and timely too, as american toads
are holding their annual pool party in my pond right now, and it's so loud I
can hardly think straight to write this. Hundreds of toads singing out, or
ringing the pond in flagrant amplexus (and triplexus too), long strings of eggs
at the water's edge, it's phenomenal! However, the carnage at such an event is
also worthy of note. I've watched the bass grab a few toads in the water, of
course, but something else - it may be the crows - takes a bigger toll as the
toads come up over the dike to join the festivities. The gutted corpses of the
victims lie strewn in the grass, belly up, as if some little organ were the
prize, and the rest not worth bothering about.

-Geo