Wouldn't that be grand? Is there a way I might attract Merlin?

Melanie

On 5/10/2015 5:44 PM, John Confer wrote:
Hire a Merlin. So far all the prey I have identified, i.e., a small sample of
3, have been House Sparrows.

John

______________________________________
From: bounce-119150749-25065...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-119150749-25065...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Melanie Uhlir
<mela...@mwmu.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:07 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] House Sparrow advice

I can't remember who it was that posted about dealing with House
Sparrows. I have a question/concern:

A pair of these murderous little creeps seem to be trying to move in to
a nestbox nailed to our house to cover one of the numerous carpenter
bee/woodpecker/squirrel holes. My husband plugged the hole to prevent
them from entering. My concern/question is: Will preventing their access
to that nestbox be more likely to cause them to attack the nearby House
Wrens? I don't think the House Wrens are nesting yet, but I hear little
Mr. House Wren(s?) singing quite a bit and at least one box is packed
with sticks.

I have another box out back that has a LOT of various nesting material
in it (feathers, grass, something fluffy, a few sticks). Once, when I
was trying to figure out what was in there a small, brown bird was
flushed, but that's all I got a chance to see.

Many thanks for guidance.

Melanie